Sunday, May 22, 2011

French Toast - the lazy way

Time for another recipe! On Friday, I purchased some day old French bread in order to make open faced toasted roast beef sandwiches. I only used half of the loaf, so last night, I sliced the other half of the loaf and made French Toast for this morning, the lazy way!

8-10 slices of day old bread, about 1 inch thick. (may be fewer slices if larger loaf)
1 1/4 cups milk
5 eggs (beaten)
1/4 cup sugar (have used equivalent amount of sugar substitute)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon (optional)

Place sliced bread in a 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Mix together milk, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour over bread in the baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
The next morning, pull it out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 400. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

I then top it with whatever. My favorites are either butter with some powdered sugar, or sweetened strawberries. Of course, butter and syrup are always ok! If there are any leftovers, they warm up nicely in the toaster.

I know, I should have taken photos... but I didn't.

1 comment:

  1. Made this yesterday to cook for breakfast this morning. It is absolutely wonderful! I bought a loaf of french bread a couple of days ago and used it. Topped it with the butter and served it with some fresh fruit. OMG!! Thanks again for another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete