Thursday, February 24, 2011

What is buying local?

I've been thinking a lot about buying local lately. I do enjoy patronizing local small businesses. There is something about going into a small shop and visiting with the owners/workers, and hearing their passion for the products that makes shopping more fun.
It is easy to think of the small simple storefront as buying local -- I of course like Little Padded Seats, Mr. Chewy seems to be fond of Quill and Nib.

Then I start thinking about "area" owned businesses. For example, I do the vast majority of our grocery shopping at Fareway. Although it is a chain, it is an Iowa company, and they do carry a lot of Iowa products. I think, at least in my mind - this is a more "local" choice that going to the "Super Center" to get my groceries. But what about franchises with local owners? What is "local" business anymore?

I enjoy shopping locally and visiting smaller shops whenever possible. This is also very true in dining out - nothing like that local gem - (Flarah's is nice and close to the office!) and Nan's Nummies beats the super center bakery any day!

What is shopping local to you? What are some of your favorite "local" businesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment