Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What was for dinner last night?

I knew dinner last night was going to be a challenge -- I was going to be out for the afternoon, and it was the Chewy Kid's 4th grade fine arts night at school, so the boys would need to eat early, but Mr. Chewy and I wouldn't eat until we got home afterwards. Sounds like a job for the crock pot! For some reason, I decided to google "Crock Pot Fried Rice" It sounded good - and a good use for the various things sitting in my fridge and freezer. I should have known that Stephanie over at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ would have tried fried rice in her slow cooker at some point. So I glanced at her recipe here: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/05/crockpot-fried-rice-recipe.html ... and then went into the kitchen.

I didn't have any "leftover" rice, so started some brown rice in the steamer. Meanwhile, I rescued a sad onion and some very sad looking carrots, cleaned and chopped them. After cooking and cooling the rice I put the following in the crock pot (sprayed w/non-stick spray)

about 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
2 1/2 cups veggies (I had carrots, onion and garlic - could use whatever fresh or frozen you have)
3 cups cooked, cold rice
about 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
black pepper
I mixed all this together then added 2 well beaten eggs and mixed again.

Cooked for 4 hours on low - and had fried rice! It was just about right 4 hours later.

Fast forward 2 more hours - and the grown-ups ate - It was still ok -- and I would have thought it was more that fine - but the consistency was better two hours earlier. At this point - we added a sprinkling of dry roasted peanuts on top of ours -- and Mr. Chewy added a little hot sauce.

Overall - it's another keeper of a recipe. The Chewy Kid and the Chewy Tot both had seconds. Easy, inexpensive, tasty, and a great way to use leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment