Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sloppy Joe Casserole

Here is an easy casserole to throw together. I sat on the original recipe for this after finding it online for awhile because it just seemed like it would be a little odd. I finally made it one night (ok, well at least a couple of the ingredients were the same as in the original recipe!) when I gave the Chewy Kid the chance to choose between two new recipe ideas - and he picked this one.

1 lb. ground beef or turkey, crumbled, browned and drained
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 cloves garlic chopped (or 1 teaspoon prepared garlic)
3 cups cooked rice (I use brown)
1 can sloppy joe sauce
2 - 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 cup shredded co-jack or cheddar cheese


mix everything but the cheese together and put in a 2 - 3 quart casserole. (I definitely recommend giving the dish a spray of non-stick spray!) Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.

When I made it this week, I sprinkled some french fried onion rings on top along with the cheese. They were a hit!

Of course you can substitute, especially for the veggies - use what you have on hand, frozen, canned, mixed, whatever your family will eat!

When we were eating this earlier in the week, we all commented how it is a strange combination of stuff, but it comes together into one of our favorite meals. Unfortunately, I missed getting a photo!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I think even picky Steve might like this. What kind of sloppy Joe sauce did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful!! Greg loves it! I used Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce in mine. So easy. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete