Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Five - What I learned the first year

With the Chewy Tot's birthday yesterday - I have done a lot of thinking about what I've learned this first year in my job as a full-time mom. Since this is the first time we've done the baby thing - it has been a lot!

5 - The "extra time" I thought I would have "staying at home" doesn't exist. You know, "I can work on the house during the day so we don't have to do it nights or weekends." or "I'll have plenty of time to visit and help other people." and "I'll finally have a chance to read some of these books!" I'm not positive where all the time goes, but dishes and laundry are definite culprits!

4 - Sleep Deprivation is real - but survivable. Although I am still questioning that. I often tell people that of all the things I gave up when I had the Chewy Tot - I definitely miss sleep the most. Not sure I'll know what to do when we start having multiple, consecutive nights of uninterrupted sleep. I still haven't figured out if the current occasional quiet nights are a beautiful gift, or a cruel tease.

3 - There are no rules -- mostly "guidelines". As time went on - I found myself giving a bit more on some of the "rules" especially with toys and food. Age suggestions are just that, suggestions. We ate tomatoes before we were one, and melon too! Will still hold off on nuts for awhile - but as long as we are watching for problems - I think we're good. He has definitely surprised us with grabbing and mowing down on items from our plates - so it doesn't look like we have a picky eater!

2 - Things don't always go as expected! The prime example of this for us can be read in a prior post for World Breastfeeding Week.

1 - It's amazing how one little person can shake up the entire household routine - yet still make everyone in the family a better person. As we have all had to adapt to having the tot as part of the 'Ohana - we have all grown and had another real-life example of putting others before self. It is so fun to watch the Chewy Kid play with, or comfort the Tot- and know that he is learning some really important parenting skills/lessons in the process.

Can't wait to see what the next year holds!

1 comment:

  1. I am STILL so thankful that chewy kid has gotten along SO well with chewy tot, I know that is something you worried about!

    ReplyDelete