Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thrifty Thursday - Biscuit Mix

So last night I wanted to make some cheddar biscuits, but did not have enough Bisquick. I have always thought of trying to make my own mix - but the main reason I buy Bisquick in the first place is that I hate cutting shortening into flour mixes. In a "I must have cheesy biscuit" frenzy - I started looking for biscuit recipes and was shocked to come across a recipe for biscuit mix that used oil instead of shortening. I decided to give it a go and about 10 minutes later my biscuit mix canister was full and ready to go.


Ingredients

* 10 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup baking powder
* 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil


Directions


1. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Add oil and mix with a fork or pastry blender; you should have small lumps throughout the mixture.
2. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to three months.


Use just like you would a commercial biscuit mix to make biscuits, pancakes, waffles and more.

Of course, this is much less expensive than buying biscuit mix - I would guess about 25% of the cost - but I have not figured exactly. I also like how I get a bit more control over the ingredients - I think I will try using some whole wheat or oat flour in it to punch up pancakes/waffles. There are also more oil options available than in solid shortening.

Do you make any of your own mixes? or have a great recipe to share using biscuit mix?

No comments:

Post a Comment