Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Five - Things that make me non-crunchy

First of all -- sorry for the gap in posts this week. Please hang with me as I try to get ahead again (or at least not so far behind!)

I've stated before that as a "chewy" family - we are not green at all costs - so what are some of my "non-green" guilty pleasures that I have a hard time letting go of?

5 - Clothes Drier I have a rack that I can use inside or outside. But I don't use it very often. I like how the clothes/diapers are nice and soft after using the drier with the drier balls. Also, I tend to do laundry pretty last minute.

4 -Organic Food I don't buy much organic food. I try to buy local as much as possible, but for the most part, a lot of organic food is not in the budget, or locally produced.

3 - Zip top bags Over the past several months I have greatly reduced the amount of plastic bags we use, but have not been able to eliminate them. They are just too handy for holding miscellaneous items, being a great "safety net" for potentially leaking items getting packed, and more.

2 - Non-local foods While I buy local whenever possible - I do have a soft spot for seafood - and there isn't a lot of coastline in Iowa. Bananas, pineapple, citrus fruits, avocado, not so local either (but very tasty!). You are likely to see some of these items in my grocery cart each week.

1 - Travel Our family loves to travel - and we love cruises. This year we will fly, and then get on a cruise ship for a week. Not very green at all. Right now for us, the benefits are outweighing the negatives. I want my kids to travel, see the world, and learn about places and people that are different from us. I love the time we get to spend together, relaxing, renewing, and trying new experiences.

I'm sure I could come up with more - but what are your items that you just can't let go? Do some of these ring true? Are there others? Please let me know in a comment!

2 comments:

  1. We try to make "green" choices but I agree with most of these. Plus my biggest vice is long, hot showers.

    Also, we tend to be more frugal than green in our decisions so we CAN travel. It's our biggest indulgence. Spending money on experiences rather than objects is more satisfying to us. While we make choices to be green and non-wasteful, frugality often wins so we can have those experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, long hot showers are nice-- although happen far less frequently than they used to due to the Chewy Tot!

    Thanks for coming up with just the right words on the experiences/objects and reasons for frugality!

    ReplyDelete