Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thrifty Thursday -- making the gifts last

I'm not sure if this is more a thrifty thing or a sanity thing! The chewy tot received several new toys for Christmas. I can't blame people - it's fun to buy toys for little ones! We had decided ahead of time that we would open one or two toys at each stop and put the rest up - and then, every couple of weeks we'd bring out a new toy. We did this last year and it worked splendidly! We even saved some that we knew he would be able to play with after his surgery until then.
I'm also planning on storing the toys once "released" in tubs in the "toy cubby" and get out one at a time to build in some more variety as well. Of course a few favorites will stay out more!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great tip! Everyone seems to love buying toys for babies and I'm already aware of how quickly toys can get out of control. I'm keeping this idea ready for 1st birthday gifts, too, since surgery will come shortly thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my kids were younger I seperated the toys into three groups and would switch them out every few months, thus old toys would suddenly be new again! I also kept some set aside that were for car trips or long appointments so there was always something special to keep them occupied.

    ReplyDelete