Saturday, July 17, 2010

Simple Saturday and Sunday - Buy Local

When it comes to food, the more locally produced items you can purchase, the more sustainable the local economy, as well as the need for less energy to get the food to market. I was very surprised to see the sweet corn at our local grocery this week labeled as "Georgia Sweet Corn" In mid-July, I don't see much of a need for Iowans to purchase corn hauled half way around the country.
While I do this pretty easily in the summer months, I do know this is something I need to work on - Checking out where my food is made and purchasing the option that is closest to "home". Even if it is something that comes from out of state (say peaches for example) I can make an effort to purchase Nebraska or Missouri peaches instead of ones from farther away. My grocery is very good about labeling the produce with where it comes from, and if not - the produce staff have always been able to answer when asked. My next step is working on meat - our location is great for beef, pork, and poultry, not so great for seafood.

I also need to hit some farmer's markets and make some connections, maybe there are more ways for me to purchase directly from the small farmer. What are some items that you are able to get locally? (wherever you are?) and any tips for buying more local food are greatly appreciated in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment