Saturday, August 28, 2010

Simple Saturday and Sunday - in season recipe

I needed to make a cake earlier this week (Thanks for having a birthday Amy!) And as I was deciding what to make looking around my kitchen, I had several apples from Dad's tree and an apple cake sounded like a great idea. When wanting to make something like this, the cookbook I consult? Grandma's small town church cookbook! I found a recipe - but of course had to tweak it before I ever started (hey, there was no cinnamon or vanilla in the cake!). It's a nice cross between a coffee cake and dessert cake.

Apple Cake

2 c. sugar
2 T. butter
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 c. milk
4 c. raw diced apples
sugar and cinnamon mixture

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to mixture. Add milk and mix well. Fold in apples. Spread in buttered 9x13 pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. (I used about 1/8 cup) Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350.

I made this on Tuesday, and the last piece was still moist and tender on Friday. I was a bit concerned about "creaming" 2 cups of sugar with 2 T. of butter, but the Kitchen Aid made it happen. This will definitely stay in the rotation, I think next time I may try swapping out some of the flour for oat flour and grating in a little nutmeg with the dry ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment